“The change we need won’t come from one election alone—but it’s a start. Last night, voters across the country started it. And I’m hopeful going forward, we’ll begin a return to the values we expect in our public life—honesty, decency, compromise, and standing up for one another as Americans, not separated by our differences, but bound together by one common thread.” – Former President Barack Obama
New Jersey Adopts New Laws
Thank you Governor Phil Murphy
"Economic progress can’t be made without social progress and social progress can’t be achieved without economic progress." - Governor Phil Murphy
As Democrats we stand for basic notions of opportunity, fairness and investing in people. I believe this budget meets those standards and provides the sustainable resources to move New Jersey forward. Notably, we increased funding for cancer research, charity care, seniors in nursing homes, programs and staffing for people with special abilities. We increased the Earned Income Tax Credit to cover more than 500,000 families, we invested in Pre-K and community colleges, increased school funding, we will spend $242 million on NJ Transit, and will contribute $3.2 billion to the public employee pension.
Some Budget Highlights:
- $21 million for seniors in nursing homes
- $20 million for workers taking care of people with developmental disabilities
- $20 million in wage increase for direct support professionals
- $10 million for charity care
- $6.7 million for District 37 schools
- $3.8 million for non-public school aid
- $2.5 million for Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA)
- $2 million for cancer research
- $2 million for Holy Name Hospital's Palliative Care Pilot Program
- $1 million in Nonprofit Security Grant Pilot Program
- $1 million for the REED Next Autism Services Program
- $500 thousand for Smoking Cessation and Prevention
- $400 thousand for NJ Tourette Syndrome and Associated Disorders
- $250 thousand for Nourishing Young Minds Fund
- $250 thousand for Latino Action Network Hispanic Women's Resource
- $200 thousand for the Adler Aphasia Center
- $200 thousand for New Jersey 2-1-1 Partnership
- $200 thousand increase for Small Business Development Centers
- $150 thousand for Project S.A.R.A.H.
- $125 thousand for Governors Literacy Initiative
- $100 thousand for Historic New Bridge Landing
- $19 Medicaid fee-for-service rate for personal care assistance services
In the end, I was proud to vote for a balanced and fair budget.
Best wishes for a safe and happy 4th of July!
Last week Governor Christie acted on dozens of pieces of legislationRead more
“Let us not seek the Republican answer, or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future” – John F. Kennedy
After midnight in Trenton a budget is signed…Read more
“When all the world appears to be in a tumult, and nature itself is feeling the assault of climate change, the seasons retain their essential rhythm. Yes, fall gives us a premonition of winter, but then, winter, will be forced to relent, once again, to the new beginnings of soft greens, longer light, and the sweet air of spring.”
- Madeleine M. Kunin
After an active winter, we have begun an active spring.