"Economic progress can’t be made without social progress and social progress can’t be achieved without economic progress." - Governor Phil Murphy
As Democrats we stand for basic notions of opportunity, fairness and investing in people. I believe this budget meets those standards and provides the sustainable resources to move New Jersey forward. Notably, we increased funding for cancer research, charity care, seniors in nursing homes, programs and staffing for people with special abilities. We increased the Earned Income Tax Credit to cover more than 500,000 families, we invested in Pre-K and community colleges, increased school funding, we will spend $242 million on NJ Transit, and will contribute $3.2 billion to the public employee pension.
Some Budget Highlights:
- $21 million for seniors in nursing homes
- $20 million for workers taking care of people with developmental disabilities
- $20 million in wage increase for direct support professionals
- $10 million for charity care
- $6.7 million for District 37 schools
- $3.8 million for non-public school aid
- $2.5 million for Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA)
- $2 million for cancer research
- $2 million for Holy Name Hospital's Palliative Care Pilot Program
- $1 million in Nonprofit Security Grant Pilot Program
- $1 million for the REED Next Autism Services Program
- $500 thousand for Smoking Cessation and Prevention
- $400 thousand for NJ Tourette Syndrome and Associated Disorders
- $250 thousand for Nourishing Young Minds Fund
- $250 thousand for Latino Action Network Hispanic Women's Resource
- $200 thousand for the Adler Aphasia Center
- $200 thousand for New Jersey 2-1-1 Partnership
- $200 thousand increase for Small Business Development Centers
- $150 thousand for Project S.A.R.A.H.
- $125 thousand for Governors Literacy Initiative
- $100 thousand for Historic New Bridge Landing
- $19 Medicaid fee-for-service rate for personal care assistance services
In the end, I was proud to vote for a balanced and fair budget.
Best wishes for a safe and happy 4th of July!